Welcomesign

UBC’s Vancouver campus and Okanagan campus are located on the traditional, ancestral, unceded territories of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking Musqueam people and the Okanagan Nation. The lands they are situated on have always been a place of learning for the Musqueam and Okanagan people, who received teachings in their culture, history, and traditions from one generation to the next.

During the Destination UBC program, we were fortunate enough to meet the next generation of Aboriginal learners.

On Thursday, May 12th, 15 prospective students arrived on the Okanagan campus for the Indigenous Welcome programming. The programming was kicked off with a welcome dinner, which consisted of Indian tacos (yum!), and a night of bowling.

AB - Ogopogo

I loved meeting new people and making new friends that I can look forward to seeing in September. I really liked bowling and going to see downtown and what I can be doing for fun in September.”

The following day, the students were welcomed by AVP Students Ian Cull, and respected Okanagan Indian Band Elder, Eric Mitchell. They were introduced to the staff from Aboriginal Programs and Services, and had a chance to learn more about the Aboriginal community on the Okanagan campus.  After breakfast, they had a chance to explore downtown Kelowna and do some mountain biking in the Mission Creek area.

AB - Biking

After a long, exciting day of exploring (and one minor trip to the hospital), the Indigenous programming came to a close and the weekend programming commenced.

After attending the Indigenous Welcome I felt more at home in Kelowna and like I would definitely have a strong support system while transitioning into the University atmosphere.”

Similarly, on the Vancouver campus, 15 Aboriginal students arrived a day early (May 26th) to participate in the Indigenous Welcome. The students visited the Museum of Anthropology, had a tour of the First Nations Longhouse, and enjoyed a catered feast. After dinner, the students collaborated on a mural and watched a movie.

The program officially got underway with a welcome from Linc Kesler, the Director of the First Nationals House of Learning and Senior Advisor to the President on Aboriginal Affairs. Several campus partners were invited to join a talking circle and discuss the different resources and opportunities that are available for Aboriginal students.

It was a great opportunity to familiarize myself with the resources available to indigenous students.

Later that day, the participants had a chance to explore the Botanical Gardens and brave the Greenheart TreeWalk, before joining the other participants for the start of the weekend activities.

AB - Canopy Walk

The Indigenous Welcome was well received on both campuses, and allowed prospective students to develop a connection to UBC through the staff, student leaders, and different resources available.

AB - Group Shot2

I enjoyed learning about the house poles and a little bit about the cultures of some Indigenous nations in the longhouse, making the banner, and having an extra day to meet other students and connect with peer leaders. Also the tree walk was amazing.

As we look forward to welcoming to the next generation of students, we remember that these lands have been a place of learning for the Okanagan and Musqueam people since long before we arrived, and will continue to be a place of learning long after we’re gone.