Student Records & Systems Management Retreat

On February 25th the Student Records and Systems Management (SRSM) team left the office for the afternoon for our first annual retreat as the SRSM team! This year, we went to the Purdy’s Chocolate factory and spent some time playing some games getting to know each other with the added bonus of getting to make our own custom chocolate bark!

We started the afternoon with some ice breaker games. First we played “Coworker Bingo” where we had to walk around and find out which fun fact matched which coworker. We learned such fun facts as Stella Yeung was born in Peru, Vicki Jung used to be a gymnast, and both Victoria Liu and Brenda Rooke owned pet quails!

Annie Yim, Associate Registrar & HR Director, starts off the retreat with a few words!

We then got matched up into pairs by having to guess which character or celebrity was on our back and then finding our match (for example, I [Ashley] had Scooby Doo on my back, and Olivia had Shaggy!) Once we found our matches then we got to know each other better and shared what we had learned with everybody else over lunch.

Coby explains the rules around matching up with our pairs and getting to know each other

We also used the opportunity to recognize and thank our coworkers who have been at UBC for more than 25 years!

Nancy Low, Raymond Yu and Vicki Jung have all been at UBC for more than 25 years! (as has Brigitte Priebe who is not pictured)

And the best was saved for last – chocolate! We learned more about the history of chocolate and of Purdy’s from the chocolatier and facilitator Rachel. Then with her help, we made chocolate bark by choosing toppings and spreading them out over parchment paper and once it set, we broke it up and put it into boxes to bring home.

Making chocolate bark!

We all had a really great time and I am not sure about the rest of our team, but I still have enough chocolate bark left to last me at least until Easter!

« »