What I love about being QueerOn September 24th the Norm Theatre presented Vivek Shraya’s short documentary “What I LOVE about being QUEER”. UBC V staff, faculty and students were invited by the Equity and Inclusion Office to a screening, so with a slice of complementary pizza in hand I sat down to watch Shraya’s hilarious and passionate showcasing of the best things about being queer.

Shraya posed the question “What do you love about being queer?” to 34 individuals in his Toronto apartment resulting in a hysterical and poignant 18 minute short documentary. After the film Shraya participated in a Q&A which revealed his purpose for making the film:

“I made this movie for selfish reasons really – I wanted to sit and hear 20 minutes of great things.”

Question time
This simple film of talking heads shot against a white wall was produced to speak to youth with a message of acceptance and the celebration of the richness of humanity. While answering this question, the subjects in the film revealed themes of love, community, introspection, individualism and of course sex:

“I’m in it for the sex.”

In the Q&A Vivek explained that in his youth the words LOVE and QUEER were never cast in a positive light together and so he wanted to make a film that presented those two words as synonymous. It is truly a vehicle for people’s truths. No background music, no post-production flare; the interviews held their own and spoke to the audience on a personal level. One question with many answers:

“…it feels like you found home.”

For more information on purchasing the film or book, please check out Vivek’s website.