Module 1 – IBM Youth Program

As a math and science teacher, I am interested in student engagement in these areas.

Here is a link to an IBM Ignite Camp that my school sends two Grade 7’s to each year (a one-week program held at our district office). They typically experiment with Lego Mindstorms, creating websites, experimenting with Scratch software, taking apart electrical circuits and more. This year, my student came back with a DVD disc of what he did as well as a video of the computer game he “created”. I was very impressed and he was very honored to have attended.

http://www.aboriginalhr.ca/en/resources/promising/193

This websites claims the following goals of the program:

• To build an awareness of opportunities in engineering, computer science and technology.
  • To provide an environment that facilitates learning and excitement about engineering and computer science.
  • To introduce children to role models who can help mentor and encourage them to consider careers in information technology.
  • To demonstrate that technology can be fun and exciting

The program is for both genders and ages 8-14. You can check with your school district to see if it is something that is offered or that can be offered.

Alicia