Aboriginal teaching resource

Module 1 Post #4

I came across this online and downloadable aboriginal teaching resource today when I was looking for strategies to help engage my first nations students. http://education.alberta.ca/teachers/resources/cross/ourwordsourways.aspx

The resource was developed in collaboration with the Aboriginal Learning Services department of Edmonton Catholic Schools and Alberta Education. I have spent about an hour today going through the resource and there appears to be some excellent practical teaching ideas and strategies. I thought the below quote from the resource was very powerful:

“Our culture is resilient like the trees and grass. You can cut trees and step on grass and they will come back. Years ago education was painful, we were taught to be ashamed of our culture. Our

Elders retained our culture so we can use it today. The world is changing and so are we. Through our culture we are going to grow in collaboration with educators who are willing to learn about our ways and adapt, and become well educated.”

– Liz Poitras,

Elder, Sawridge Cree Nation

Cheers,

Greg Campbell