Resources for Educators: Aboriginal Perspectives

Module #1 – Post #2

Integrating Aboriginal Perspectives into Curricula, a resource for Curriculum Developers, Teachers and Administrators. Manitoba Education and Youth. http://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/docs/policy/abpersp/ab_persp.pdf

This resource is quite interesting; as it attempts to provide an aboriginal perspective on everything from land, history, spirituality, community, family, and education to be included in all levels of learning within the current curriculum in Manitoba. The intention behind the document is also to advance the perspective and contributions of aboriginal peoples in Canada and acknowledge those contributions as we do with Anglophone and Francophone realities.

Outcomes that the authors wish to achieve include (pp.2):

• Improving the academic success of aboriginal students
  • Eliminate stereotypes that exist
  • Improve overall quality of life for aboriginal peoples
  • Increased representation of Aboriginal peoples in academia
  • Increased representation of Aboriginal peoples in the workforce

This document recognizes the Euro-centric and Western-centric perspective that has influenced Education; this has resulted in skewed perspectives and understandings of Aboriginal culture and identity and has thus been instrumental in transferring negative experiences in learning for Aboriginal peoples.

I recommend reviewing this article because in my searches, I have found few documents like this one that provide background information and concepts for educators and program designers to address all students in a more inclusive way, as an overall Educational goal for the province.  I myself would like to incorporate some of the recommendations and curriculum ideas presented in this document. The section on Elders made me think of an activity: Students understand the role of Elders within Aboriginal communities, and then compare how elders are seen within their families and communities. Why and how are these roles different?