Maintaining Connections to the Natural Environment with Computer Technology: An Indigenous Perspective

I found the following quote concerning the Innu striking: “land, the country is the root of the culture” (as cited in Loring & Ashini, 2000, p. 175). I would like to concentrate on environmentalism and Indigeneity for my final paper because of the significance of the land to Indigenous peoples. Specifically, I want to focus on how technology affects Aboriginal relations with the land and its educational implications. I chose this topic because I have a deep respect for Indigenous spiritual connections with the landscape and am interested in learning more about the impact of technology on this aspect of Indigenous culture. I intend to begin my paper by providing a cultural background of Indigenous connections to the land. I then plan to analyze the positive impacts of technology on Aboriginal environmental relations, followed by its negative impacts. I will then discuss the implications of this analysis for education and provide recommendations for teachers in terms of how to support Indigenous students’ relationship with the environment. I hope that this paper will help teachers with Aboriginal students develop a better understanding of their needs for connections to the landscape. I also hope it will provide means for teachers to support this aspect of the Indigenous culture.

Loring, S., & Ashini, D. (2000). Past and future pathways: Innu cultural heritage in the twenty-first century. In C. Smith & G. K. Ward (Eds.), Indigenous cultures in an interconnected world (pp. 167-189). Vancouver, BC: UBC Press.