Connecting Research to Weblogs

Relationship between digitization of knowledge and place based learning….

The digitalization of elder knowledge was a topic that  interested me, however, after watching/listening to the guest speakers from week 4 I am more interested in the relationship that exits between the digitalization of elder knowledge and place based learning.

This interest is relevant as technology affords the ability to live in a digital world and to ignore the connections that are deeply rooted in the physical. Even taken out of an indigenous context the digitalization of knowledge removes the essence that this knowledge is embedded in the physical context. This general concept applies

One of my hypotheses is that there is an opposing relationship between digitalizing knowledge and delivering placed based knowledge, however, I want to investigate whether this is the case.  My future weblogs will explore how place based knowledge is incorporated into mainstream education, and how the digitalization of knowledge impacts the amount of place based knowledge that occurs.  To explore this I plan to investigate the impact of digitalization of elder knowledge in conjunction with the impact that this preservation of knowledge has on how learning is occurring.  I am hoping that once I explore these two areas individually there will be themes that emerge to help me develop and further tailor my research questions.

Thanks,
Kiersten