Connecting Weblog to Research

I have been very interested in the leadership, development and use of technology for the purposes of improving rights and access to basic needs for Aboriginal people. There are many initiatives, groups, icons that we can turn to as sources of activism; looking at the bigger picture, change within Canada amongst everyday citizens is slow-going. Capacity building amongst Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal peoples is required to fight the stereotypes, the resentment and the complacency that has continued to foster inequality for Canadian citizens (specifically Aboriginal people).

In creating my weblogs, I reviewed materials looking at leadership, reservations, how the hierarchical western system has impacted Aboriginal communities, education platforms available online targeted to Aboriginal people, use of media in activism etc. Consistent themes that appear throughout this literature include:

·      Government funding based on a pre-determined agenda

·      Quick-fix solutions rather than focus on sustainability

·      Value of Aboriginal culture; integrating those values into policy, governance and economic development

·      Continued socio-economic struggles, lack of educational and employment opportunities

·      Perception of Aboriginal people by non-Aboriginal people

I started to reflect on my own behaviors and perception of Aboriginal people. I have been around Aboriginal people my whole life, I use to be homeschooled where one day a week I would go to the Reserve and be taught traditional handicrafts… I thought myself aware and enlightened in a way. However, upon reflection I began to recall things that I had said or considerations I have made, “I have nothing against Aboriginal people, but….” – this is referencing some illegal fishing practices that continue to take place on a reserve North of my town. Regardless of the scenario… I recognized by ignorance and my role in supporting stereotypes like many Canadians. Not only that, I fostered my next door neighbors ignorance and reckless racism.

In an attempt to tie in my thoughts, interests and research, I would like to investigate the ways in which Aboriginal culture can be infused into contemporary governance in a way that acknowledges value of Aboriginal culture, informs and educates Canadians and fosters collaboration and solidarity between all people. Information Technology plays a significant role in the way that people communicate and interact, receive news, engage in their workplace, education and community. With the support of information technology, it is possible to reach large groups of people, it is more efficient to convey large amounts of information and for people to see for themselves how others live, learn and participate. With this in mind, I would like to examine the role that IT can play in creating collaborations between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people for the purpose of improving livelihoods (on many levels) and changing perspectives.

In addition I would like to engage citizens to be critical of themselves, looking at whether they are tolerant of other people, and what that looks like, or whether they are able to take themselves one step further, to pluralism and what that would look like.

Resources

Valberg, Ashley. 2012. Aboriginal Representation in Canada: Reforming Parliament or Creating  a Third Order of Government. The Agora: Political Science Undergraduate Journal. Vol 2. No. 2.

Smith, Loretta. 2006. Mending Fences: Increasing Aboriginal Representation in Canada. 78th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Political Science Association, York University. Access via: www.cpsa-acsp.ca/papers-2006/Smith,%20Loretta.pdf

Eck, Dianna. L. 2006. What is Pluralism. The Pluralism Project, Harvard University. Accessed via: http://www.pluralism.org/pages/pluralism/what_is_pluralism

Eck, Dianna. L. 2006. From Diversity to Pluralism. On Common Ground: World Religions in America (1997, Revised in 2006). Accessed via:
http://www.pluralism.org/pages/pluralism/essays/from_diversity_to_pluralism