Integration vs. Oppression

Module #2 – Post #4

I have titled my blog Integration vs. Oppression for the mere reason that this week we talked about preservation of culture, right or wrong. And in this resource below, I question how integration is better than oppression. “Integrating” into your community seems to be ubiquitous with being part of community. I disagree. Here, in this article I have linked to, is a great example of how integration/assimilation = continued oppression.

Resource:

Perkel, Colin. June 18, 2013. Half of First Nations Kids Living in Poverty. Toronto Star. Access via: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/06/18/half_of_first_nations_kids_living_in_poverty_new_study_finds.html

I have been keeping my eye on the media lately, particularly in regards to articles related to Aboriginal issues (land claims, social justice, socio-economic development, leadership etc.)  in an attempt to be more critical about some of the themes from ETEC 521. Themes including perspectives and interpretations of culture, stereotypes, technology and artifacts as they are used for cultural preservation (or not) etc.

Today, in the Toronto Star, an article titled Half of First Nations Kids Living in Poverty; statistics originate from a national census pointing to Aboriginal, Metis, Inuit, non-status Indian and children from visible minorities and immigrant families as having such grim fates as well.

What I would like to ask all students in this course to do, is go to your favorite News Paper Website (or print copy if you wish) and review an article that has something to do with humanity, war, violence or poverty; how is it that these stories from around the globe pull on our heart strings and make us say things like “how could this be happening, how do people let this happen?” When in fact, we are letting it happen in our own backyard.

I try to think about the many ways that technology can be used for the benefit of people experiencing such oppression and cyclical struggles, but it is such a complex problem that is systemic and aggressive. The remote nature of many Aboriginal communities makes me wonder whether web-based employment opportunities are a great idea, or even online education – but I keep coming back to the outcome that it really takes away from the livelihood that so many Aboriginal people come from, living on the land, making their food, homes, clothing, tools and experiential learning there which must be passed down to children for preservation and identity.