Module 3- Post 1: Yes, There are Amerindian Children in Barbadian Schools !

At this stage of my ETEC 521 journey I am settling down some what and my focus is shifting from trying to understand indigeneity in general sense to looking at how it applies to my own teaching situation. I must thank Heather for helping me to sort this out. This new approach delivered fruits immediately as I just discovered there are significant populations of indigenous people in the Caribbean region where I am teaching right now. This article from the indigenous portal web site mentions over 2300 from one tribe alone. While at the site you can have a look at the Caribbean section for more information on indigenous from this region. Our curriculum in the Caribbean is determined by the regional examination body The Caribbean Examination Council and it does not cater for them in any way. As a matter of fact from the accounts of this article the children are being told by educators that their people are extinct. It mean that our education system has a long way to go if we are to care of our indigenous people.

This new knowledge has changed my perspective so I will be changing my research to look at a framework for including the indigenous peoples of the Caribbean in formal education with minimal risk to their culture.

The silver lining of this dark cloud is that the indigenous people of the Caribbean are leveraging the web to advance their cause as would be seen in the rest of my post to this web log.