Role of Elders in Contemporary Society

Module #3 – Post #2

Week #8 readings really prompted me to examine the role and integration of Elders (specifically Aboriginal) within contemporary society. What I found interesting, was that there was significant acknowledgement and incorporation of Elders within well established Western Institutions (I specifically looked locally to Ontario, Canada for resources as that is my own backyard).

Aboriginal Elders and Community Workers in Schools (March 2001). Community Education Saskatchewan Education.

• this document seeks to provide resources and guidance for Educational settings to incorporate Aboriginal elders and community workers within the education system to build Aboriginal students knowledge, pride and heritage of their culture, thus building confidence and self-esteem which will overall provide for greater successes in life.

Northern Ontario School of Medicine – Aboriginal Elders Programming

• the Northern Ontario School of Medicine seeks to provide a well rounded, comprehensive concept and approach to health and wellness.  Therefore seeking Elders to provide guidance in observing and approaching wellness at a family, community and overall environmental perspective.

Law Society of Upper Canada – Aboriginal Elders’ Student Supports

• this is provided to both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal students, presenting various cultural teachings, culturally-appropriate counseling,  with the objective of promoting equality, diversity and overall awareness in respect to aboriginal culture and issues.

In examining the three different examples above, the collaboration is unique under institutional circumstances, in that the teachings  and activities are not linear and conventional but rather are facilitated by the Aboriginal Elders without Institutional instruction. I find this to be significant in that it values and acknowledges differences and alternate learning models and environments often overlooked by the institution.