Free the Children Aboriginal Programming

Module # 3, post #1

http://www.freethechildren.com/domestic-programming/school-and-educational-programming/aboriginal-programming/

This week’s readings and discussions really made me think about what is being done to celebrate indigenous/aboriginal culture in our society and schools. As a leadership teacher at the high school where I work, I remembered from attending We Day 2012 that Free the Children has started a new concept called We Stand Together. So, I decided to head back to their website and see what kinds of programming that they had for aboriginal education.

Free the Children is known for its global initiatives and helping out in “third-world” countries. However, they also do support and promote local programs. According to their site, “with the support of Martin Aboriginal Education Initiative, Free The Children is delivering programming that will educate non-Aboriginal Canadian youth and help make Aboriginal issues a priority in Canada.”

Some of the programs that they provide are:

I think that these campaigns and programs are great ways to raise awareness and create positive atmosphere in our schools with tomorrow’s leaders. I think if I had not had so much going on this year, I would have worked with my aboriginal support teachers to make these campaigns/programs a reality. Something to consider when I go back to work!