Module 3: Book about Intergenerational aspects of trauma

I was intrigued when listening to Dr. Marker mention the phrase ‘multigenerational loss of parenting skills’ in the interview he hosted with Heather McGregor in Washington DC. On a superficial level, I realize that the history of residential schooling has impacted family dynamics, but if I’m honest, this was the first time I really thought about the skill of parenting being lost due to the active intervention outside forces, and that that this skill would then be altered generationally. This caused me to look more deeply into the topic, and I found this book which I have not read, but am very interested to do so.

International Handbook of Multigenerational Legacies of Trauma

As an overview: Chapter 20 looks at the ‘Intergenerational aspects of trauma for Australian Aboriginal people’; other foci on the Holocaust and Nazi persecution, psychological impacts on prisoners of war, persecution, and internment camps. Chapter 13 focuses on ‘children’; Chapter 21 looks at ‘Healing the American Indian Soul Wound’, and Chapter 22 examines ‘The role of dependency and colonialism in generating trauma in First Nations citizens: The James Bay Cree.’ I have not had a chance to read the whole book but I put this forward as a resource for those looking to read more about how trauma can impact future generations.