Some books…

Module 3, Post 4

I’ve found a couple of online e-books (accessible through the UBC library) that deal with photography and representation with an emphasis on Aboriginal people.

The first is titled Reservation X… from the brief glance I had it’s more about photography and art through contemporary Aboriginal eyes. Here’s a website that goes along with the book:

http://nmai.si.edu/exhibitions/reservation_x/intro.htm

The other book I found is Photography’s Other Histories. This one is a bit more broad in its intent, and the essays tend to focus more on social-activist issues in photography within a post-colonial framework. I’ll have to comb through the essays to see if there are any nuggets in there.

[update]

There are indeed some golden nuggets in the latter book. One fascinating essay is Poignant’s “The Making of Professional Savages”. What a tragic tale for those australian aboriginals, specially Tembo whose body was eventually displayed in a museum, and ended up in almost being forgotten in the basement of a funeral home. Who would’ve guessed the circus had such a strong influence on Native American objectification.

Pinney, C., & Poignant, R. (2003). The Making of Professional “Savages” From P.T. Barnum (1883) To the Sunday Times (1998). Photography’s other histories (pp. 55-84). Durham: Duke University Press.