Module 3: Youth Have the Power

Youth Have the Power

I actually found this site through one of the others I have posted in my weblog research, and I am excited to share it. This site is a collection of youth-directed You Tube videos created by First Nations students from around British Columbia. The videos relate to staying healthy physically and sexually through knowledge, discussion and prevention. This type of student action reminds me of the videos we watched last week in which youth themselves take the reigns and create mini documentaries related to their experiences. Here is an excerpt:

Star In Your Own Stories is an ongoing video workshop project transforming First Nations high school students into filmmakers and sexual health campaigners. So far, youth have made the films By My Name, Strong Path, Step Up and Stand True. The project has also produced a fun, animated short on STI testing called Don’t Stress the Tests!

It’s very powerful for any students to take an active role in their advocacy, and this is powerful evidence of this learning.