Culture-Based Education

My research has led me to two Indigenous curricula, examples of  “culture-based education”: Dene Kede and Inuuqatigiit in the NWT.

A brief description of both with links to each curriculum can be found at http://www.newteachersnwt.ca/culture_based_education2.html#sec1

Also, beginning this website is this Checklist for Teachers in Cross-Cultural Schools:

Yes Some No
1. Does the culture of my classroom reflect the language and culture of the community?
2. Do instructional materials:

• Portray Aboriginal people as diverse peoples with a rich heritage?
  • Portray Aboriginal people in an authentic way?
  • Recognize and value contributions of Aboriginal peoples to present Canadian society?
  • Present positive images of Aboriginal people in contemporary settings?
  • Receive evaluation for stereotyping, bias, racism and other inaccuracies?
3. Do I use a variety of teaching methods to accommodate the diverse learning styles of my students?
4. Do I encourage students to take pride in their culture?
5. In my classroom, do I observe community celebrations and important cultural events?
6. Do I use community resources (people, materials) when appropriate and possible?
7. Are my evaluation tools sensitive to cultural bias?
8. Do I take time to learn more about community culture?
9. Do the parents of my students feel welcome in my classroom?
10. Do I contact my students’ parents with positive messages about their children?
11. Am I aware of the way culture affects styles of communication and ways of interacting with others?

Adapted from an Assessment Checklist in the Indian and Metis Staff Development Program, p.243. Saskatchewan Education, 1995.

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.