Black Shack Alley – Community, Resistance, and Empowerment

Despite finding “Black Shack Alley” a bit slow-going at first, I appreciate how Zobel depicts the reality of Caribbean society following the abolition of slavery in implicit, but nevertheless, powerful ways. His emphasis on the sense of community throughout the novel goes hand in hand with the idea of resistance. Zobel illustrates his childhood memories, such as his daily interactions with his grandmother, as well as his neighbours. They all originate from the same community, which reminds me of how they hold a shared identity. I also notice how the presence of white people is scarcely mentioned in Chapter 1; Zobel unfolds his memories from the perspective of his community and neighbourhood. In particular, José’s relationship with Mr. Médouze adequately exemplifies the idea of collectiveness. Though Médouze is not kin to José, he takes up the role of a parental figure, being the first person to enlighten José in terms of his political consciousness. Médouze says, “But when the intoxication of freedom was spent, I was forced to remark that nothing had hanged for me nor my comrades in chains… I remained like all the blacks in this damned country: the bekés kept the land, all the land in the country, and we continued working for them…” (45). Zobel highlights the change and continuity of poverty and white supremacy following the abolition of slavery through the perspective of Médouze, constantly alluding to the idea the Caribbean people remained a tool for white settlers to maximize their economic interests, and that blackness inevitably entails oppression. Zobel rarely condemned colonialism in a militant way in the sense that he would explicitly incite his readers to resist, yet his narrative style makes me reflect on the continuity of injustice in Martinique.

I love how Zobel depicts the relationship between José and M’man Tine, José’s grandmother. José is raised by his strict yet loving grandmother; M’man Tine perceives the harshness of reality, especially with the fact that José and her are in a white supremacist society, and therefore seeks the best interests of her grandson. She frequently scolds and punishes him as if she intentionally finds faults in José, but her unconditional love for José is evident by her refusal to let him work. She says, “Well! If I didn’t put your mother in one (petités-bandes), I’m not going to out you!” (56) M’man Tine is determined to break the perpetual and generational cycle of impoverishment, deprivation of education, and bondage. With the frequent absence of José’s mother during his childhood, M’man Tine’s feminine role as a caregiver features a nurturing and motherly figure to José.

Another aspect that I want to explore is the simplicity of language used in the novel. I think language plays a significant role in delivering the theme of nationalism. Médouze and other neighbours always say “Eh cric” and “Eh crac” before telling stories. Zobel also brings a number of superstitions and cultural beliefs to light. He writes, “And when at night, you smell anything bad, don’t say a word, for your nose will rot like an old banana” (45). These cultural beliefs that he holds onto contrast with the assimilative education system that he is in in which the language of instruction in school is French. I interpret the contrast as a symbol of resistance that shows how Zobel is inclined to preserve his Martinican culture despite the environment that he is in. Again, Zobel retaliates against colonialism in an implicit yet empowering manner.

My question for this reading is: How does the imagery of the black shacks represent inequality and resistance?

3 Comments

1. Hi! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I also really liked how the relationship between Jose and M’man Tine was portrayed in the novel. Although Jose did not always see it, his grandmother loved him and did all that she could to prepare him for the difficult life ahead of him.

2. Hi Janae!
    I really liked your point regarding the idea of community and resistance. These are both such strong themes we see throughout the entire book and in the end, it comes full circle when José is reunited with Jojo again. I find your point regarding the simplicity of the language being used as a tool to drive the theme of nationalism very fascinating and not something that I would have initially considered so thank you for sharing that!
    – Ava

3. Janae, you did a good job of reflecting on individuality and community. I think in a way your analysis made me think of how the West views the idea of childrearing as a familial chore rather than a communal goal like Nobel shows in this book.
    Thanks for your comment
    Tesi