With August now upon us, we would like to remind everyone that the first of four deadlines for doctoral candidates looking to complete their programs by December 31, 2017 is approaching. If there are students in your program who may be aiming to finish by the end of this year then we ask that you make them aware of these deadlines:
· Friday, August 25, 2017 – Nominations for External Examiner form submitted to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
· Friday, October 13, 2017 – Doctoral dissertation and supporting documentation submitted to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies for external examination.
· Friday, December 15, 2017 – Last day for final doctoral oral examinations.
· Friday, January 5, 2018 – Last day for acceptance of final, approved doctoral dissertation by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Students who are hoping to finish this year but are concerned about their ability to meet any of the above deadlines should contact the Doctoral Exams team as soon as possible at email@example.com.
There will be an oral defence blackout in effect again this December/January. Friday, December 15th will be the last day for doctoral oral defences in 2017. Defences will resume on Monday, January 15, 2018.
Students and supervisors looking for information about the doctoral examination process will find a number of tools and resources on our website:
· Final Doctoral Examination Guide – https://www.grad.ubc.ca/current-students/final-doctoral-exam/final-doctoral-examination-guide
· Doctoral Deadlines – https://www.grad.ubc.ca/current-students/final-doctoral-exam/doctoral-deadlines
· Doctoral Examination Planning Tool and Checklist – https://www.grad.ubc.ca/forms/doctoral-examinations-planning-tool-checklist-candidates-supervisors
· Navigating Your Doctoral Exam Info Session slides and webinar recording – https://www.grad.ubc.ca/current-students/final-doctoral-exam/tools-planning-doctoral-exam
Jenn Fletcher MSc
Doctoral Exams Coordinator
Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies | Office of the Dean and Vice Provost
The University of British Columbia | Vancouver Campus
201 – 6371 Crescent Road | Vancouver BC | V6T 1Z2 Canada
Phone 604 822 3989 | Fax 604 822 5802
firstname.lastname@example.org | @UBCGradSchool