Dear Faculty of Land and Food Systems students,
You may have read today’s communication from UBC President Santa Ono regarding the 2021/22 Winter Session, Term 2 interim period of online learning that will be in effect until January 24, 2022. The decision to return to online learning is to provide students with some certainty as health agencies and the university monitor the impact of the Omicron variant.
This letter outlines what you can expect in the beginning of Winter Session Term 2 in this interim period from January 10 to January 24 – and what we ask of you in order to prepare and keep in mind during this period. Student support and links to resources are also listed below.
- Most classes will be delivered synchronously using Zoom. Your instructor will confirm details with you, so please monitor your email (including your junk folders) and your Canvas site for Instructor updates.
- Some labs, practicums and clinical courses may be in person. You can expect to hear from your instructors on how those courses will be delivered before Jan. 10.
- Classes will remain at their originally scheduled times. For those of you who are currently outside of Canada, we hope you are able to return for the start of term. If you are unable to return at this time, and the time zone makes it difficult to attend, please get in contact with your Instructor.
- Instructors will continue to offer scheduled office hours. These will be delivered 100% online during online learning unless otherwise specified.
- We expect in-person research activities will continue during this interim period. If UBC decides to return to stricter protocols, your supervisors will let you know. If you have any questions, please contact your supervisor for specific directives or details.
Buildings and Facilities
- All Faculty of Land and Food Systems buildings and facilities will remain open to students, faculty and staff during the interim period.
- Campus will remain open during this interim period, including student housing, student services, and all libraries.
Support for Students
- For Undergraduates, LFS Student Services will open on Tuesday, January 4 and the team will be available to support you virtually with limited in-person options. You can check their schedules here.
- For Graduate Students, including Professional Masters Students, the Graduate Services Team will be available to support you virtually. You can check their contact information here.
- UBC offers mental health support to all students. See resources here.
What we ask of you:
- Stay safe and healthy. Follow local health restrictions carefully.
- If you are abroad, please organize your travel documents and be aware to allow for potential quarantine requirements to ensure you are able to attend classes on campus starting January 24.
- When Winter Session Term 2 begins, stay involved in your classes.
- When you are in your Zoom class, please have your cameras on and use a Zoom background if privacy is desired. If there is a specific reason for you to have your camera off, please let your Instructor know!
- Make yourself fully available, as you normally would, for group work, team meetings, research etc. When in doubt, ask your Instructor or Supervisor.
We are planning for in-person learning to resume on January 24. If the situation changes and online learning is expected to continue beyond January 24, the university will send updates – you can monitor notices at this webpage and please check your inboxes regularly once Term 2 begins.
We appreciate your attention, collaboration and patience during this time. We sincerely look forward to seeing you all back in-person soon.
Have a restful holiday. Stay safe and well.
Karen Lee (She, Her, Hers)
Director of Marketing and Communications
Faculty of Land and Food Systems | Room 235
The University of British Columbia | Vancouver Campus | Musqueam Traditional Territory
H.R. MacMillan, 2357 Main Mall | Vancouver British Columbia | V6T 1Z4 Canada
Phone 604 827 5297 | Cell 604 312 6343
firstname.lastname@example.org | @ubcLFS