Wilson Hsu

Mechanical Engineering 2020Wilson Hsu
General Option

A little bit about me…
I started university thinking that I wanted to be either a computer engineer or an electrical engineer, but the first year curriculum made me realize that I wanted to pursue a field that was more mechanically focused. In my spare time, I really enjoy watching TV shows and hanging out with friends. If you have any questions or want to chat about engineering-related things please feel free to reach out to me!

I wish I had known before I came…
There is no need to rush through education. Adding one or two more years to your degree is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. It’s also important to try the different types of experiences the university has to offer, ranging from volunteering at a lab to being part of a student design team. This is a great time to try a bunch of different things to help you figure out the different types of jobs or fields you might want to puruse in the future.

I chose mechanical engineering because…
I want to have the knowledge to be able to start and finish a project by myself. Mechanical Engineering is an extremely versatile field which allows you to do just that and UBC’s Mech program offers multiple specialization options so you have the option to focus on what interests you most.

Mechanical engineering at UBC in one word…
Life-Changing

What I like best about my program…
I really like the diversity of the courses that are available to students in the program. The professors are very accommodating and are willing to help out students. It is not just a program but a community that supports one another.

Outside of the classroom, I am involved with…
EUS – Industry Director
Club Mech – Treasurer, Webmaster
UBC Solar – Past Captain and Mechanical Team Member

Favorite moment/memory so far…
I remember going down to Austin, Texas for my first student Solar Car competition. However, our car was far from being able to race out on the race track. We worked day and night without sleep and sometimes without food. I remember very clearly that morning at competition, all our hard work came to fruition when the judge ticked off the last box on the list that signified that the car has passed mechanical inspection.