Conclusion

With respect to my question, I have found that the students of today are facing a dynamic future, one where the changing family dynamic and technology has affected the way people socially interact. Social interaction is fundamental to not only cognitive development in academic areas, but also in the attainment of valuable life skills. Such skills life skills include responsible decision making, relationship skills, emotional awareness, social awareness, emotional management; the foundation of SEC. The promotion of social interaction in schools is very important, especially in the adolescent years where intrinsic motivation tends to decrease, the needs to autonomy increase and schools tend to increase control. In order to promote social interaction, students need to be engaged in their learning. The relationship between engagement and social interaction for SEL requires student autonomy; promoting activities and situations that empower students to make their own choices with the aim to increase participation, social interaction and emotional awareness.

Stay tuned for updates on my inquiry process throughout my 10 week practicum starting February 1st!

an exploration