Limitations

School Culture

A limitation to this research may lie within the power structures that are embedded in each individual and culture of the practicum school. It is important to consider that the school’s culture may be hesitant toward a teaching style that strays from a teacher centered approach. I will need to consider both the agencies and structures of the school and community that are in place; “most would also agree that meaningful empowerment and participation require significant changes in power relations, both at the level of agency and structure”(Pettit, 2012, p.3). That being said, for empowerment and participation to increase in the classroom, it is critical to understand what the interests of my students are as well as “the formal and informal… rules, norms and beliefs that enable and constrain thinking, action and behavior” (Pettit, 2012, p.3).

Bias

A major limitation of this study is personal bias. That is, by making my own evaluations and assessments, results may affected by biased. To reduce bias I will ask my school administrators to work alongside me, involving them in the formative assessment of the SEL.

Student Hesitation

I am concerned that the new leadership strategies may not be accepted with the higher grades. Thus far in my grade 10 and 11 Spanish classes, students have had a very inconsistent year with multiple teachers who have not given them enough structure and attention. From my observations, many students appear to portray a lack of motivation and appreciation for this class. They have come accustomed to not participating due to the lack of organization of the class, therefore, during my practicum I will need be be extremely organized as well as to sensitive to the fact that it may take some time to motivate and engage students to participate. This is where promoting autonomy and choices based on personal interest may be extremely influential in SEL.

Time Constraints

As the practicum experience is only approximately 10 weeks, a time constraint is definitely a limitation to the optimal implementation of SEL. Based on research findings of SEL program implementations, teachers have found that it takes time, trial and error to include an optimal and well designed SEL program into the curriculum (Elias, 1997, p17 ). In specific to this Inquiry research on promoting student choice, student choices need to be based on their interests, and to gain access this knowledge of student interests takes time, careful observance, action and reflection.  For more on reflection, click here for links to future practice

an exploration