Past Teaching

2022/2023 Academic Year

• No teaching this year

2021/22 Academic Year

2020/21 Academic Year

• ENVE 200: Environmental Engineering Design and Decision-Making
  • ENVE 203: Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Development

2019/20 Academic Year

2018/19 Academic Year

2017/18 Academic Year

2016/17 Academic Year

• APSC 100: Introduction to Engineering I
  • CIVL 200:  Engineering and Sustainable Development
  • CIVL 445:  Civil Engineering Capstone Conceptual Design
  • CIVL 498A:  Environmental Stewardship and Civil Engineering 

2015/16 Academic Year

CIVL 302: Engineering Impacts

The social and biophysical context of infrastructure and the impact of civil engineering on people, the economy, and the environment. Specific topics vary from year to year.

A core undergraduate course (approx. 130 students/year) taught by me in 2010-2020.

CIVL 202: Civil Engineering II

Civil Engineering & Sustainability

A core undergraduate course (approx. 120 students annually) taught by me from 2006 to 2017

CIVL 201: Civil Engineering I 

Sustainable development, design process, project planning, and modeling with sketches, spreadsheets, and other tools.

A core undergraduate course (approximately 120 students/year) taught by me in 2007, 3008, 2009, 2010.

CIVL 445 – Engineering Design and Analysis (2006)

Integration and application of previously acquired knowledge and skills to find design solutions. Focus on conceptual designs.

A core undergraduate course (approximately 130 students/year) co-taught by me in 2006.

Sustainability in Engineering Design

A three week learning module in APSC 150 – Case Studies in Engineering.  introducing students to the influence of context on engineering design decisions.  A core undergraduate course (approximately 800 students/year) taught by me in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.

CIVL 598b – Leadership in Sustainability in Civil Engineering

This student-driven course, taught for the first time in Sept 2010, introduces students to the fundamental concepts of sustainability in civil engineering practice, then asks students to develop leadership skills and a foundational sustainability tool kit for civil engineering applications.

CIVL 598 – Civil Engineering and Sustainability (2008, 2009)

This student-driven course, co-developed and co-taught with Dr. Thomas Froese, first introduced students to the fundamental concepts of sustainability in civil engineering practice, then asked students to develop and present materials related to the application of sustainability concepts in civil engineering practice.

APSC 498b – Assessing for Sustainability (2006)

This course was a transdisciplinary, student-driven, course for senior students from across campus. Course content focused on collaborative discussions and analysis support for decision-making about natural resource use.  The development and delivery of this course was supported, in part, by funds from the Aqua-3 Consortium led at UBC by Dr. Barbara Lence.

CIVL 598 – Angles on Green Buildings (2005)

A trans-institutional course offered jointly by Simon Fraser University, The British Columbia Institute of Technology, Emily Carr University of Art and Design, and the University of British Columbia, this course was co-designed and co-taught by Duane Elverum (ECUAD), Meg Holden (SFU), John Robinson (UBC), Don Yen (BCIT), and me.  The course content focused on a range of topics related to green infrastructure.

Civil 215 – Introduction to Fluid Mechanics

Fluid properties, hydrostatics, kinematics, and fluid dynamics: energy and momentum methods with applications. Dimensional analysis, modelling, introduction to flow in pipes and forces on immersed objects.

A core undergraduate course (approximately 130 students/year) taught by me in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.

Civil 403 – Engineering Economics

The subjects of decision-making; hard and soft systems management; decision models, cost concepts and accounting, the time value of money; comparing options; depreciation and taxes; and public sector projects will be studied. Case studies will be presented.