Questions about the course

Please post as comments below you questions about how the course works, about assignments, about how to do something. Please use other places for comments and questions about particular philosophers or readings (see dropdown menu under “Q&A” above).

Note that you don’t have to be logged in, and if you log out first you can use a fake name to post your comments if you wish, so no one reading the comment can tell it’s you. But, if you want to use this for points towards your discussion mark, you need to tell Christina what your fake name is!

To be notified by email when someone replies, be sure to use an email address you check when posting your comment (email address will not be shown publicly), and check the box to subscribe to comments on the post.

5 thoughts on “Questions about the course”

1. Hi,

Had a question in regards to in-text citations? Is there a correct method in the MLA format to distinguish between two texts written by the same author, i.e. Plato? From what I understand currently the method of in-text citation would involve the author name and page number, e.g. (Plato, 2) but not which text it is from.

Thanks

1. Good question to ask! MLA says that if you have two texts by the same author, you put both the author’s name and the title of the work in parentheses in the in-text citation, like this: (Plato, Euthyphro 6). There is a comma after the author’s name but not after the title. That’s the official MLA style, anyway; see here: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/02/

Note, though, that MLA is not required; you could use another of the citation styles instead–I’m saying this for other students, who may be more familiar with other citation styles. If you use MLA, the above is how you would do it.

2. Hi,

Is there a way to resubmit in peer feedback as I did not realise when you press save in the marking rubric it submits your feedback and there does not seem to be a way for me to then edit or add comments after saving once? At the moment my rubric is recognised as completed even though I have not filled out all the fields and I don’t seem to be able to edit this?

Thanks

1. I just found out that once you submit the peer feedback you can’t go back in and edit it again. It seems to be that once you click “save” on the main peer feedback page that is saving and submitting at the same time. If you click “save comment” on the rubric it takes you back to the main peer feedback page and you might still be able to go back into the rubric (but we aren’t sure). But once you click “save” on the main page that completes it (if you have put comments into that page and the rubric).

Still, the way around it at this point is to send me the comment(s) you would like to add, via email, and I will add them in. I can add more comments as an instructor I believe.

You’ll have to describe which intro paragraph and outline it is, so I know where to put it. I can see which two students everyone did peer feedback on, but without a description I won’t know which of the two the comment should go to!