The following questionnaire was handed out in person to contractors on the North Shore. Contractors were also given a copy of the required cover letter to read prior to completing the questionnaire.
Residential construction and potential impacts to watersheds – a questionnaire
UBC Ethics Review Board Approval number: H15-01331
This questionnaire will help gauge the level of knowledge about the impacts that the construction industry may have on watersheds on the North Shore. I am a student at UBC in the Master of Land and Water Systems program. This questionnaire will be used as a part of my final major project.
- The North Shore Environment is (check one):
- In good shape.
- In some trouble but can be improved with a little effort.
- In bad shape but a lot of effort could save it
- In such bad shape that little can be done to save it
- What phase of a residential construction project do you feel is most damaging to the local environment or watershed? (Please check your top two answers):
- Mobilization, Demolition & Site Clearing
- Foundation, Backfill & Concrete
- Framing (other rough in sub-trades, insulation) & Services
- Insulation, Drywall, Tile & Paint
- Where does our storm water system drain? (Please check all that apply)
- Local watercourse (creek, stream or river)
- Water treatment facility
- I don’t know
- Other ______________________________
- Are you aware of any bylaws that pertain to environmental protection?
If yes, can you name any of them? ___________________________________________________
- How do you obtain information about environmental bylaws or environmental protection measures in your municipality? (Please check from the list all that apply)
- research myself online
- use information provided by municipality at time of permit pick up
- attend a local builder/renovator building session
- call the municipality directly
- call the local transfer/recycling station
- I don’t look for more information
- Co-worker information
- Other: (please specify) _________________________________________________________
- What percentage of the total cost of each project should be invested in environmental protection?
- 0 – 5%
- Greater than 10%
- In your experience, can you share a practice or innovation that you use that has a positive impact on the local environment?
- How long have you been in the residential construction or renovation business?
- Less than 10 years
- 10-25 years
- 25+ years
Thank you for your time. If you wish to find out the results of this survey, please leave your business card with contact information. No personal information will be linked with your survey results.