Bob Jones University bans Starbucks

4627225_BG1.jpgAccording to WHNS Fox News, Bob Jones University, a fundamentalist Christian university in Greenville, S.C., has banned Starbucks coffee from being sold on its campus because one of a series of quotations on cups used by the chain endorses gay rights.

In September, Baylor University, “the largest Baptist university in the world,” made a similar decision.

Here’s the offending quote:

The Way I See It #43: My only regret about being gay was that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people that I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don’t make that mistake yourself. Life’s too damn short.Armistead Maupin, author of the Tales of the City series and the novel The Night Listener.

This story gives me the creeps, Fox News outing homophobic Christian higher education and in the process making the (union busting) Starbucks corporation look like it’s all about fairness and equality … Hmmm, capitalism before religion at Fox News? Of course, because neoliberal capitalism always trumps neoconservative social values.