The best barbeque in the world just may be in Greenville NC

IMG_0389.JPG
Well I’m just back from Greenville, NC where I attended my daughter’s graduation from East Carolina University.

One of the sidebar highlights of my trip to NC was the chance to indulge in some Carolina BBQ—one of the great contributions of The Old North State to western civilization.

In North Carolina barbeque is a noun, not a verb, and means the whole hog (or at least pork shoulder). And the sauces in NC are vinegar-based (altough Western NC BBQ, usually called “Lexington Style” adds a bit of tomato base), but I still like mustard-based sauce I grew up with in West Columbia, South Carolina, which is epitomized by <a href=”Maurice’s Piggy Park BBQ.

[Note that even though Maurice is a right-wing nut case who wants to resurrect the Old South and whose restaurant is attached to a Christian missionary operation…his BBQ is mighty fine.]

My first stop this past weekend was in Zebulon (outside of Raleigh) at Smithfield’s Chicken ‘N Bar-B-Q for some spicy BBQ (and sweet tea)—hold the sauce because this stuff is just about the perfect pulled pork (and the slaw, potato salad and hush puppies are fine too).

But, the pièce de résistance was my visit to B’s Barbeque in Greenville. My buddy Roger tipped me off to B’s and I waited in a long line last Saturday before ECU graduation to get me a barbeque sandwich (with slaw) and some sweet tea. The wait was worth it as this just might be the best barbeque I’ve ever had. Sooo sweet and tasty…I was devastated that the place was closed on Sunday and Monday (my last days in town).

B’s is so good the folks in Greenville named the road it’s located on after the place.

IMG_0390.JPG

1. I am so glad you found this out of the way great B’s Barbeque and enjoyed it so much! The outside of the place doesn’t look like much but they have been cooking there for near forever, making that mouth-melting BBQ!

2. i’m from boston and greatly considering going to ECU! this little blog shed some light on n.carolina and the school, if you could let me know more about what it’s like down there it would be greatly appreciated! i haven’t had the chance to go down and visit yet! thanks