In my ear (February)

It was a short month, but lot’s of great music.

I’m still buying cds and downloading albums, but Sandra predicted long ago that “hardcopy” music would go the way of the dinosaur. I’ve always been skeptical about that but this month I added a Sonos digital music system to house and it came with a free trial of the new Napster, which is basically a music rental service. I’ve been listening to tunes via Napster a lot. It’s not perfect, but for $10 a month you can listen to millions of tracks and I can envision the end times of the cd quite clearly.

In the meantime I’m still buying, downloading, and burning cds…including these this in February:

Angels%20of%20Destruction.jpgMarah, Angels of Destruction—Saviors of rock and roll?

Brighter%20Than%20Creation%27s%20Dark.jpgDrive-By Truckers, Brighter Than Creation’s Dark—Southern gothic rock n’ roll masterpiece? Nah. But a pretty darn good album. Minus Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker’s tunes are a highlight.

Crickets%3A%20Best%20of%20the%20Fading%20Captain%20Series%201999-2007.jpgRobert Pollard/Guided By Voices, Crickets—Best of Robert Pollard’s Fading Captain Series. very cool.

Cult%20Cargo%3A%20Belize%20City%20Boil%20Up.jpgVarious Artists, Cult Cargo: Belize City Boil Up—Funky soul and reggae music of Belize

Eccentric%20Soul%2C%20Vol.%209%3A%20The%20Big%20Mack%20Label.jpgVarious Artists, Eccentric Soul: The Big Mack Label—Obscure Detroit soul

Excitable%20Boy.jpgWarren Zevon, Excitable Boy—Spectacular remastering of EB in all of its horror, blood, guts, guns and that other good stuff Zevon always wrote and sung about.

Field%20Manual.jpgChris Walla, Field Manual—Solid solo release from front man of Death Cab for Cutie…this one seems to get a played a lot.

Hold%20on%20Hope.jpgGuided By Voices, Hold on Hope [EP}—Can’t have to much GBV.

I%27m%20a%20Bluesman.jpgJohnny Winter, I’m A Bluesman—One of four albums sent my way by Perry this month—Johnny’s playing acoustic six-string slide on some deep blues.

In%20the%20Future.jpgBlack Mountain, Into The Future—Prog Rock from the most public face of the East Vancouver-based collective of “likeminded musicians with amps set to nerve-stun levels and guitars possessed by wailing blues ghouls – have been busy since the release of their self-titled debut in 2005.”

It%20Is%20Time%20For%20A%20Love%20Revolution.jpgLenny Kravitz, It’s TIme for a Love Revolution. Nothing surprising here, just good ole retro funk rock.

Jesus%20of%20Cool.jpgNick Lowe, Jesus of Cool—Great reissue with lots of bonus tracks, including the original version of “Cruel to be Kind” in one of the most fun cd packages I’ve seen in a while.

Kid%20Marine.jpgRobert Pollard, Kid Marine—The first release (from 1999) of the Fading Captain Series

Lucky.jpgNada Surf, Lucky—some good tracks here, especially “Whose Authority”

North%20Star%20Deserter.jpgVic Chestnutt, North Star Deserter—stripped “down and leaving Chesnutt’s shrewd, witty lyrics and fragile, plainspoken voice center stage…”

Out%20In%20The%20Real%20World.jpgDavid Gillespie, Out in the Real World—Somewhere between David Gray and Dave Matthews

Rusty%20Nails.jpgJackie Greene, Rusty Nails—Rootsy blues from Northern California singer/songwriter

Sweet%20Somewhere%20Bound.jpgJackie Greene, Sweet Somewhere Bound

The%20Heroines.jpgTony Joe White, The Heroines—TJ with Shelby Lynne, Lucinda Williams, Jessi Colter, Emmylou Harris…

The%20Train%20I%27m%20On.jpgTony Joe White, The Train I’m On—A platter of swamp rock from 1972