Meanwhile at the Frat’s: TFM’s and Identity

423661_10151055386096334_353483907_n

The Greek system (fraternities and sororities) is a massive North American college institution with strong ties to UBC.  Beta house located at Wesbrook Mall, was kind enough to allow me to spend some time visiting the house, getting to know their members, traditions and culture.  I began my investigation by attending a preliminary RUSH event, which consisted of current members meeting and touring potential recruits around the house.  My primary purpose was to build some rapport with the Beta Brothers and get to know their culture as a frat and see what such a collective identity looks like. One of the defining features of the fraternity system which I think most of its appeal to outsiders originates from, is the relationship between tradition and secrecy.  Much of the recruitment, initiation and governing traditions of Beta function only through a collective code of confidentiality.  While the brothers were very open and anxious to chat and teach me about their history and culture certain questions are never given a straight answer. However what I believe sets fraternities apart from other campus groups is language.  There is such a decisive and exclusive vocabulary within the house, I found myself constantly asking for clarification.  The whole Greek system in general works on a specified vocabulary, as well as the Beta brothers specifically use their own unique plethora of slang terms.  However while the language can easily work to alienate outsiders they held very little reservations on getting me up to speed on some of their favourite words and phrases.  What I found particularly interesting was that while their language worked to set them apart from other groups it also worked to establish their identity and provide them with a space to respond to the ever present negative frat stigma. Total Frat Move according to urbandictionary.com is an expression “used in response or to describe an action of a male who exudes all things fraternity”.  Beta house specifically described TFM’s as a response to the negative stereotypes and stigma that they feel is undeservingly projected onto them.  This stigma they feel is justified, by the greater student population, solely based on their membership to the Greek system.  If you are at a loss for an image of stereotypical frat guy, please watch Jimmy Tatro’s YouTube video.  As one brother explained to me that he could not even begin a conversation with a girl without her immediately assuming he was only speaking to her having premeditated their night would end in bed.  This was revealed to me with much frustration and even as a sort of plea.  The boys were constantly referring to me as “the snitch” or “investigator”, even though I reassured them that while the underlying purpose of my presence was for a class project I primarily had a general interest in what frat culture looked like from the inside.  There was a definitely a hint of defensiveness regarding my presence. While testosterone levels in the house are high and the language utilized is full of acronyms and exclusive slang, you could not help but admit there was a definite self-deprecating sense of humour  in everything they did.  They are far more self-aware of their stigma, then they think people realize.   They explained that as opposed to doing everything in their power to reverse this “douchey” stereotype they chose to exemplify it.  This exemplification of the frat boy stereotype is accomplished by TFM-ing.  Instead of just going to gym in tank tops with their pre-work out in hand and keep it to themselves like any other tank top wearing gym going frat boy would do, they make a game of it.  One frat brother explained to me that sometimes they’ll set up a bench press in the front yard and have guys “work out” as people walk past on their way to class or getting off the bus.  The brothers revel in the exasperated expressions, the eye rolling, and snickering they receive from onlookers.  Simply put, they find it hilarious, less out of how ridiculous they are actually acting but hilarious in the fact that people think they’re taking themselves seriously.  Such activities bring the boys together in a sort of ‘us’ versus ‘them’ mentality, or at least that helps validate the behaviour on the surface.  They’d rather spend their energy giving people the fuel they want as opposed to fighting against a deeply engrained reputation. BETA house gathers a lot of their identity from playing along with what everyone thinks about them.  To quote Goffman, “it is this against something that the self  can emerge.”  The BETA brothers to an extent have flipped this on its head.  It is a sort of acceptance of people’s assumptions and the exaggeration of what people want frat guys to be that has driven BETA’s common identity.  The find camaraderie  in being the butt of people’s jokes.  Total frat moves give them the self awareness to see what other people assume.

KC

References: Goffman, E. (1961). Asylums: Essays on the social situation of mental patients and other inmates. Garden City, N.Y: Anchor Books.

Read 1 comment

1. Really interesting. I wonder if this ironic discursive identity they’ve constructed in reaction to external perceptions is in any way connected to Bauman’s ideas on liquid modernity, where the bonds between agent and society are changing to reflect a shifting social landscape? Certainly, a simplistic us vs. them model of collective identity does not seem to apply well here.