Mental Health Correspondents News

Using the power of our community to make a difference

The following video is composed of footage I captured following the Stanley cup riots of 2011. Although the subject may be slightly dated, the lessons presented in the interpretations of this video most certainly are not.

Regarding the subject of mental health, and comparably a reduction in suffering related to a lack of understanding in the treatment of mental illness, often times individuals who truly want to provide assistance find themselves to be confronted by the challenge of just that – a lack of understanding in how to help ease the suffering of those who are currently living their lives with some form of mental illness

My name is Jeremiah Humphrey, I was raised in a household that was devastated by the effects of improperly diagnosed and cared for mental illness, I have over five years of lived experience with depression. I understand the importance of mental health because I have lived through moments in my life where a lack of understanding on the subject has provided my loved ones and I with considerable pain.

Jeremiah

I truly believe that through the provision of appropriate information and guidance many self perceived barriers can be removed from the lives of those who currently suffer from the effects of mental illness. Given this, I have dedicated my life to helping individuals find happiness and fulfilment in what they may perceive as being the darkest and most misunderstood of circumstances.

Admittedly, there have been moments where I have thought that I would never be able to overcome the pain and confusion of my life touched by mental illness. However, through education and working to develop the ability to create positive emotionally restorative thoughts and experiences for myself, I am now filled with more happiness and contentment in my life then I had ever previously thought possible. This is what I want for everyone, to realize the full potential of happiness and fulfillment in their lives through cultivating an awareness and development of good mental health.

I am honoured to be provided with the opportunity of contributing to the base of knowledge that is being presented through the UBC Mental Health and Awareness Club Blog, and I am looking forward to being able to continue sharing my thoughts, personal experiences, and opinions on the subject of mental health with you.

Kindest Regards
Jeremiah