Mental Health Correspondents Uncategorized

Daily Motivation

“People often say motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” -Zig Ziglar (Edberg, 2015)

As the new school year starts, many of us will have a multitude of different thoughts and emotions spiralling inside ourselves. Speaking personally, I’m constantly thinking about what comes next in my hectic schedule and how to stay on top of my classes while still trying to balance my time amongst my extracurricular activities, friends and family. University life is certainly a full obstacle course right from the start to the very end. At times, this can make me quite stressed and I tend to find myself becoming more physically and mentally drained.

To counter these situations, it is imperative that we set aside time in our daily routine to relax our bodies and minds so that we don’t end up burning ourselves out too quickly. However, there is the danger that we may end up “resting” far too much and this eventually begins the cycle of procrastination. Alongside having a rested body and mind, we must also be motivated to face the challenges that are thrown our way. Since motivation is needed in all aspects of our life, we must keep practicing to encourage ourselves every day.

Here are a few tips on how to motivate yourself to do your best each day:

1. Every night, write a motivational/ inspirational quote on your alarm so when you wake up, it’s the first thing you see. This can give your morning an energized start and encourage you to face the day. Here are a few quotes that can help you get started.
  2. Know your main aim and break it down into SMART goals. SMART is an acronym that helps you write goals and it stands for: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time – based.
    Have a daily or weekly goal that you can physically tick off once you accomplish it.Visualize your progress by journaling or taking pictures of yourself completing your SMART goals. Knowing the amount of progress you’ve made can give you a feeling of satisfaction and can encourage you to keep hustling to reach your final aim. We’ve included a link that explains more about SMART goals as well as a template you can use.
  3. Remember why you started each time you feel like giving up. When something gets much harder to achieve, reminding ourselves of the whole purpose of why we even started is a great way to keep going.
    This method works well when you’re working towards a long – term project or aim. For example, I don’t usually hear the question: “Why are you in university?” yet it’s also a very thought provoking one. Personally, it’s because I aim to become more knowledgeable about what I can shape my future to be. There are a vast number of roads I realize I can take because of what I have gained inside and outside of the classroom. However, there’s a lot of challenges that come along with that. Yet, it’s that aim I hold in my mind that keeps me going forward every day to do the best I can.
  4. There are times when we berate ourselves for not doing so well or when we compare ourselves to others who seem to be doing better. Stop and be gentle with yourself. Whether you give yourself a pep talk in the mirror every morning or say a few reassuring words to yourself throughout the day, this can give you the strength to get back up from your failures and face challenges anew.
  5. Celebrate your success. Homaira Kabir, a Positive Psychology Practitioner, states that we must “sit back and relive our achievements” because these are the moments that will remind us of our capabilities and resilience (Kabir, 2017). If you get an A on that exam, ace your presentation, land that job, or manage to check off everything on your to-do list for the day, don’t forget to applaud yourself. This can boost your self-confidence and can even keep you in a good mood for the day.

Written by Roumaine Soliveres

A Daily Motivational Quote Can Change Your Life”. (2017) Daily-motivational-quote.com. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from http://www.daily-motivational-quote.com/

Edberg, H. (2015). 22 Smart and Simple Ways to Motivate Yourself. The Positivity Blog. Retrieved from http://www.positivityblog.com/motivate-yourself/

Haughey, D. (2017). SMART Goals. Project Smart. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://www.projectsmart.co.uk/smart-goals.php

Kabir, H. (2017). 8 Ways to Stay Motivated to Follow Through on Your Goals. happify.com. Retrieved 23 September 2017, from https://my.happify.com/hd/8-ways-to-stay-motivated/