Uncategorized

High-functioning Depression

High Functioning Depression can also be known as Persistent Depressive Disorder (PDD). Previously known as dysthymia, PDD is a form of chronic depression. In PDD, the depressive episodes are less severe than the depressive episodes that occur in Major Depressive Disorder; however, the symptoms last for a longer time.

Because the episodes are less severe and the condition is chronic, those who have PDD usually keep what they feel to themselves, thinking that the episodes are normal. As a result, they can still carry on with their regular routines and lives.

The term “high functioning depression” is fitting because those who have PDD can appear to be completely fine. They still manage to go to work, school, and keep up with their physical appearance without really showing any outward signs of depression. They are able to function normally and therefore do not outwardly raise any red flags. But this doesn’t mean they don’t feel depressed.

I’m no mental health professional, but high functioning depression (and anxiety) is something I have dealt with for the past few years. I always thought that what I felt was normal and whenever I would have a particularly bad episode, I would feel weak. I carried on with my life, went to class, went to school, went to work. I did what I needed to do to keep my body from dying. I was surviving. I never tried to figure out why I would feel awful and why it would never go away because I had felt like this for so long that it was difficult to even pinpoint when it all started.

As I got older, made more friends and learned more about mental health, I started to realize that how I felt was not normal. Life was not supposed to be this hard. I started to be more aware and active in taking care of myself. Teaching myself to pause and take breaks, and began understanding that I wasn’t weak and it was okay for me to take time to tend to my mental health. Opening up to friends was hard, but helpful–even more so when some friends seemed to pick up on what was going on and would make the effort to check-in.

Treatments for PDD can vary depending on the person. It can include psychotherapy, medication, or both. I think one of the best ways to recovery is acceptance and taking opportunities to open up to those you trust.

For more information, check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia#Diagnosis
https://cmha.bc.ca/documents/depression-2/

Written by Annie Wu