Two Letters: Complaint and Bad News

Letter of complaint

Usman Zahoor

5960 Student Union Blvd.

Vancouver, BC, V6T1Z1

November, 27, 2019

Earls Kitchen + Bar

1601 W Broadway

Vancouver, B.C. V6J 1W9

Earls is my current go-to establishment for quality food at student-friendly prices. The restaurant consistently provides delicious dishes and beverages, and we have had many pleasant exchanges with the staff.

Which is why, to my dismay, the service last Tuesday, November 19 was sub-par compared to previous experiences. For the sake of privacy, I will not disclose the name of our server. My girlfriend and I arrived for our reservation around 5pm. Not only were we kept waiting for nearly thirty minutes, but when we checked with the hostess about fifteen minutes in, we were met with annoyance and no attempt at sincerity.

Our dining experience was worsened, as our server was extremely rude. My girlfriend requested that the Poke bowl be split in half  to which our server responded that it couldn’t be done. When we explained that we had this request filled before, rather than acknowledging it or checking with the manager, our server simply refused to take further action. We were made to feel like burdens, rather than paying customers. For the rest of the night, we were treated with coldness and irritance.

I have been a loyal customer for nearly two years and was extremely disappointed with our experience.  I would greatly appreciate if the meal was compensated.

I have no doubt that this was simply an off night, however, personal circumstances should not reflect on dining service. Earls remains my favourite establishment, but I hope you will consider my recent experience and alert your staff members of the situation. I suggest that they reflect on how their attitude can impact someone’s experience, and that they should treat guests with respect and consideration.

Regards,

Usman Zahoor

Letter of Bad News

Earls Kitchen + Bar

1601 W Broadway

Vancouver, B.C. V6J 1W9

November, 27, 2019

Usman Zahoor

5960 Student Union Blvd.

Vancouver, BC, V6T1Z1

Dear Mr. Zahoor,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Your loyalty as a diner is valued and any feedback provided is appreciated.

Earls strives to provide guests with top-notch service, along with high quality food. After reviewing the books from November 19th and it seems it was a particularly busy Tuesday evening. There were multiple reservations for large parties and the system had unfortunately double-booked many guests.

With that being said, we offer our deepest condolences for the lack of tact and will be discussing appropriate service behaviour with hostesses and servers. Unfortunately, compensation for a specific meal is not attainable within our current policy. We would however, like to invite you to join us again for happy hour.  Enclosed in this letter is a gift card valued at $50 that we hope will be enjoyed.

If you have any further questions or issues, please do not hesitate to contact us, our number is 604-736-5663. Our hours are 11am-12am Sunday-Thursday and 11am-1am Friday-Saturday.

Sincerely,

Lina Johnson

Earls Kitchen + Bar Broadway Manager

Encl: $50 Earls Kitchen + Bar giftcard