Katherine

Katherine is a Behavioural Neuroscience student who is passionate about child development research and technology. She is pursuing a second-degree in Computer Science, where she plans to integrate the two majors. In her spare time, Katherine loves to travel and bake (her specialty is baklava). She is excited to learn more about financial wellness and implementing projects during her time with the SSA team. Her projects include working with the SSA financial wellness peers and researching innovative financial wellness programming.

How would you describe yourself in three words?
Resourceful, trustworthy, persevering

What attracted you to this role in Enrolment Services?
I wanted to expand my knowledge on financial literacy and contribute to the ongoing development and enhancement of student financial topics. This role is a great balance of working independently, one-on-one with my supervisor, Kim, and in a team with other ESAs and FWPs.

Do you prefer cats or dogs?
Dogs always.

Which super power would you like to have and why?
I would love to be able to teleport, so I can avoid the incredible amount of rainfall in Vancouver.

Who would win a battle between a ninja and a pirate?
A ninja because the pirate will never see them coming!

We are doing food as a fun theme for this month’s edition of ES Connected. So, that being said, what would I find in your fridge right now?
There is always almond milk, eggs, and chili sauce in my fridge.

What are your favorite food venues on campus?
The Point’s burger is my no-brainer go to order!

Mahin

Mahin is a Bachelor of Arts student with a focus in Psychology and has been a student at UBC since September of 2020. She is excited to learn more about what we do in Enrolment Services and is looking forward to engaging in the support of other students. While she will be providing assistance where needed across Student Support & Advising, Mahin will be heavily involved in work related to the Former Youth in Care portfolio. She’ll be assisting in the coordination of student events and participating in the piloting of a Peer to Peer Mentorship program.

How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Curious, visionary, and introspective are 3 words I would use to describe myself!

What attracted you to the role in Enrolment Services?
Both my appreciation for Enrolment Services at UBC, as well as the mission statement of “Holistic Student Support” gravitated my interest towards this position. I strongly believe in the purpose of fulfilling both the academic and personal growth of students throughout their university experience by providing them with essential tools and opportunities as a form of guidance and development. University can definitely become overwhelming at times with juggling all sorts of responsibilities and I am grateful for the opportunity of working alongside a team striving to enrich this journey for students!

Do you prefer cats or dogs?
The independence of cats and loyalty of dogs puts me in a difficult dilemma.. I would say I prefer both cats and dogs!

Which super power do you like to have and why?
I would like to have the superpower of reading minds to better understand the underpinnings of actions and intentions. I think the first step in resolving the greatest of problems is to understand the different hues of humanness we have to us and offer the light of compassion through empathy.

Who would win a battle against pirates and ninjas?
Ninjas for sure! Their seamless agility and swift movements allow them to face any battle with preparedness.

You would find leftovers, milk, and eggs!

My favorite venues definitely include Jamjar for a nice Lebanese lunch and Blue Chip Café for some of the best cookies you will have!