Module B: TELE

We started module B by examining our beliefs about technology. We examined some very distinctive definitions about technology and had to decide which resonated most with our thinking. This was hard because I found myself agreeing with all of them. They all made sense!

Then I moved away from the definitions that focused on education [so hard for a teacher to do that!]by reasoning that education is but a small part of technology use and human life. I had to look at the big picture. Here is about I finally defined technology as ….

Defining Technology

The term “designer” has just been added to my job description! Sounds artistic! As a teacher I have always created, thus designed, learning environments for my students – based on sound pedagogy. However, to create a design for a Technology-Enhanced Learning Environment[TELE] teachers need to be knowledgeable about both pedagogy and technology and use only those technologies that have pedagogical approval. For my TELE, I would like to use constructivism as my pedagogical base. Here is how..

My Ideal Pedagogical Design For TELE

Our first activity was to examine a teaching resource called the Jasper Series. The series is an example of anchored instructions created by Vanderbilt University. They created realistic situations on videos for students grade 5 and up to solve collaboratively. Here is my first impression…

Jasper Series :First Impression

The discussions around the Jasper series were very positive. As we marveled that the good use of cognitive tools and affordances in the series, and examined a bit outdated technology which could be easily revitalized, the main focus was how to bring this model into our classrooms and schools. There is consensus that lessons like the Jasper series are excellent ways to teach and learn. Here is my analysis of its cognitive and technological affordances…

Jasper Series: Model of Social Constructivism

Though Jasper series is a great idea, I cannot apply it -as it-is -in my classroom. Learning has to be relevant to my students and also the outcomes covered need to connect to grade level expectations. However, Jasper series is a great model to follow. Current technology is much more sophisticated now and has many affordances that we can bank on. Here is what I plan to do…

Emulating Jasper!

Examining WISE was a neat experience as we could go into the program and experiment with it in the role of a student and teacher. My first thoughts were- I can do the same thing in MOODLE. I liked the structural layout of the site and the easy navigation. As I played with “Rain Forest Interactions” project adding a quiz and some looping activities, I found it very easy to use. Here is some detailed analysis…

A WISE Approach

A new tool called My World was introduced to us. It is interesting to examine different facets of TELE and be able to pick up applicable tools based on content, student ability, and probably teacher comfort! Though a complicated tool, it was created out of sound pedagogical beliefs and is very versatile in its application. Here are the details…

My World-Learning one layer at a time

In examing the entire TELE unit nothing got me more excited than examining the GEM and the T-GEM model of learning when we explored Chemland. I think the reason for this is that we have a sound pedagogical model around which we are wrapping technology and not the other way around. The pedagogy will work without technology as well and is not totally dependent on it. Simulation can be a powerful tool which can enhance  learning by “making learning visible”. Here is more…

Chemland and T-GEM