Give your feedback to the Government of Canada on #YourBudget2018 and support science!
Earlier this year, the Fundamental Science Review released its report on how to enhance non-governmental research in Canada (more information here). The key recommendations included:
- improve coordination between federal granting agencies through the creation of a National Advisory Council on Research and Innovation
- prioritize equity and diversity in recruitment and hiring
- substantially increase federal research funding (by ~30%), with an increased proportion of total funds directed toward independent investigator-initiated research
Although the Government of Canada has made progress on implementing some of these recommendations (e.g., by appointing Dr. Mona Nemer as Chief Science Advisor), and despite big campaigns from universities, advocacy groups, and students, there has been no commitment to increase research funding by a meaningful amount.
This is a crucial time, as the Government nears the end of its public consultation for Budget 2018.
What can you do to support Canadian research?
- Complete the Government of Canada’s #YourBudget2018 survey. Survey #2 (Economy of Tomorrow) includes direct questions related to research funding. The survey takes only a few minutes to complete and closes on Dec 15.
- Join the conversation about #YourBudget2018 on social media – you can reach Finance Minister Bill Morneau on Twitter @Bill_Morneau. Find social media tips here.
- Write to your MP to encourage him/her to support full implementation of the Naylor Report. Find letter writing tips here.