Where did you do your undergrad? Law school? Other degrees?

I completed a master’s degree and a PhD at Oxford University after studying law at the University of Alberta. Before that, I spent some enjoyable time studying history in an undergraduate degree in France.

When did you come to UBC?

2004.

What courses will you be teaching at Allard in 2018-2019?

In the fall, I am only teaching in the upper year curriculum (a sustainable development law seminar). I will be on administrative leave for the 2019 calendar year following a five year term as Associate Dean Research & International.

What are your research interests?

I am fascinated by the way that the practice of law is shifting as what is happening in other countries and places becomes ever more significant for Canadian law. My research currently focuses on exposing hidden sites and opportunities for environmental protection as law crosses borders.

What is your non-law dream job?

Something involving espionage. Likely during an earlier century.

What is your favourite book or movie?

My favourite reading involves cookbooks. Nigel Slater’s ‘Real Food’ is an all-time favourite.

What is your favourite judicial decision and why?

Courts are beginning to find some gusty ways to force governments to act on their climate change commitments. Leghari v. Federation of Pakistan is one good example of this litigation trend, brought by a farmer who alleged that the government of Pakistan’s inaction and delay in implementing the National Climate Change Policy violates fundamental constitutional rights to life and dignity.

What’s a UBC Campus hidden gem that more people should know about?

The UBC Farm.