Where did you do your undergrad? Law school? Other degrees?

My undergraduate degree was in literature from Simon Fraser University. I obtained my law degree at UBC Law.

When did you come to UBC?

I have been teaching/working at Allard for three years in both the Innocence Project and the Indigenous Community Legal Clinic

What courses will you be teaching at Allard in 2018-2019?

I will be the Legal Director at the Indigenous Community Legal Clinic.

What are your research interests?

My life and career focus is centred around criminal defence law and really what changes for me is my clients. I deal with many many segments of the Canadian population, but I really love working with and mitigating the effects of Canada’s colonial roots upon our Indigenous neighbours, family and friends. Working with Indigenous clients also allows me to adhere to Justice Sinclair’s call to action.

What is your non-law dream job?

Faller or train engineer

What is your favourite book or movie?

The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad followed by whatever book I am reading at the present time.

What is your favourite judicial decision and why?

R. v. Pelletier, 2016 ONCJ 628 by Justice Nakatsuru who writes a very moving and beautiful judgement about a human being standing in front of him and needing his help. Justice Nakatsuru speaks directly to this woman in terms meant for her and not for us. It is lovely to read and a case I reference often with my clients.

Anything else?

I am available to speak if you would like to. Do not hesitate to call if you are interested in being Crown, defence counsel, the Innocence Project or the Indigenous Community Legal Clinic or anything else criminal law related.