Welcome Class of 2021!

My name is Nicholas and I am the president of the Allard Law Outdoors Club (ALOC). I hope you are all enjoying your summers and not thinking about law school… it truly is the best preparation!

As many of you may have already heard, 1L can be a busy experience and at points, overwhelming. You will have the opportunity to become involved in all sorts opportunities associated with the law school and your experience will truly be what you make of it.

One piece of advice I was given as a 1L that has stuck with me is not to forget to “do things that aren’t law.” This is not to say you should not get involved in law-related clubs, activities, volunteer positions etc (you definitely should consider that to!), but I found that there is a balance to be struck.

[cue sales pitch]

ALOC is a group that facilitates and organizes hikes and other outdoor activities at the law school. We operate primarily via our Facebook page (search: Allard Law Outdoors Club) to coordinate transportation (based on available drivers) for everyone interested in a particular hike/activity.

Last year, we organized about nine hikes, mostly within a 45-minute drive from campus, a pub night and an end-of-year hike that happened to end in an ice cream shop! Free ice cream, need I say more?

Though our activities were mostly hikes, we are open to suggestions of other fun outdoor activities that people would like to do as part of the club. We are very flexible as a club, and you only have to commit on a hike-by-hike basis. Moreover, in the past, the generosity of members with vehicles has allowed us to operate at no cost, other than pitching in for gas.

No matter your level of experience, this is the place to be if you’re an Allard student who’s interested in hiking and spending some time with getting to know your classmates outside of school. Based on member demand, we hope beginner-friendly and more challenging activities can be organized.

I look forward to meeting you all in September! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions in the meantime. You can reach out to me directly, through our Facebook page or at our club email allard.outdoors@gmail.com.

Nicholas

Allard Law Outdoors Club

Your ALOC Exec, from left to right: Serge, Celine, Kristen and Nicholas