Where did you do your undergrad? Law school? Other degrees?

Undergrad and law school at the University of Melbourne. LLM and PhD at UBC.

When did you come to UBC?

2002 as an LLM student, 2008 as a faculty member after several years teaching evidence as a sessional lecturer.

What courses will you be teaching at Allard in 2018-2019?

Criminal law (spring term) and the Provincial Court Externship.

What are your research interests?

I’m interested in evidence and factual reasoning in criminal trials. I have a particular focus on expert witness testimony, cultural reasoning, gender and the experiences of Indigenous and other racialised people in Canadian courts.

What is your non-law dream job?

Park ranger.

What is your favourite book or movie?

Ghostdog is my favourite movie.

What is your favourite judicial decision and why?

The BCSC trial decision in Carter v Canada. Justice Smith marshalled an enormous volume of complicated evidence and demonstrated compassion for all of the participants in a case that raised difficult ethical and legal questions.

What’s a UBC Campus hidden gem that more people should know about?

If I told you, it would no longer be a hidden gem.

Anything else?

First year law is intense – I hope it you will find it wonderful and challenging. Sometimes though, law school can feel all-consuming. I recommend that you write down three things you love to do regularly, and schedule time to do at least one of them every single week during term. Whether it’s hiking on the north shore or hanging out with a friend over popcorn and a movie, you’ll find that doing what you love helps you keep law school in perspective.