Welcome, class of 2021!

My name is Nicole Lacis and I have the pleasure of being the Director of Wellness (Sports and Clubs) this year. When I reflect on how I was feeling at this time last year, emotions such as ‘excited’ ‘nervous’ ‘eager’ and ‘uncertain’ come to mind. For some of you, what law school entails may be a giant question mark, while others may have a better idea of what lies ahead from family or friends in the profession.

If you are someone who could use some certainty right now, here is what I can tell you

1. There will be amazing moments
  2. There will be difficult moments
  3. If you reach out when times are challenging, you will be supported

The bottom line is that everyone’s first year experience is different. While ALL OF YOU will make it through first year, you will all get there differently and there are many resources at UBC and Allard to help you be as ‘well’ as you can be during 1L.

UBC

Allard Law

• Legal Buddy Program
  • Peer Tutor Program
  • Faculty, particularly Kaila Mikkelsen, assistant Dean of Students
  • Myself
  • Upper Year Students (it is amazing how much upper year students care about the 1Ls)

I know I speak for many when I say that my upper year legal buddy was an invaluable source of support to me this year, both academically and emotionally. Every person who signs up for a legal buddy will receive one. I was also amazed by how many other upper year students and faculty took interest in my wellbeing last year – something I’m sure many of you will experience as well. WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU (if you don’t appreciate this now you will come to at some point I promise).

There is no right or wrong way to ‘law school’. The academics of first year are demanding – but beyond that it is up to you how much more of yourself you give to Allard. What’s important is that you do what is best for you this year, and that if things get tough you reach out for help. I can speak from experience when I say that the faculty are extremely receptive and understanding of students who are struggling (me in first semester).

I’m looking forward to meeting all of you!  If there is one thing to take away from this post please know that I am here for ALL OF YOU, anytime, all year long. At the very least I want to be a person who people feel comfortable coming to – whether its to chat, to ask questions, or as a first point of contact if times are tough.

If there is anything I can do to make this year happier for you – please let me know! WELCOME TO ALLARD!

–  Nicole

Contact Nicole at clubs@ubclss.com.