Colleger-what?

This summer I get to do something I’ve never done before. I get to work out of the CSI+C around some amazing people doing something I love (because it challenges me daily). I get to help set up and organize a place that’s going to be a home away from home – a place to be, not a place to do.

This place is called the collegium.

My bestie was a Collegia Assistant at TWU for her last year at uni, and she absolutely loved it. We would always talk about our roles when I was a Residence Advisor and how similar they are. When I heard about UBC-V starting a Collegia Program, I jumped at the opportunity to be involved, however they’d let me.

This summer, I’m working to set up all the fun things (like board games and kitchen supplies!) and all the not-so-fun things (like figuring out what data we need)  the collegium will need to function. Recently, I was able to help plan a hard hat tour for some of the student leaders and profesh staff at UBC. Was it ever a blast! Here’s a picture Houston White, one of the stellar people took the tour with us, took for us. This is the view of the kitchen from where the fireplace will be.

beautiful, right? just some floor-to-ceiling windows and an awesome view. No big 😉

I’m honestly jealous that I didn’t have one of these to go to in my first year. I was commuting from Langley, so approx 5hrs a day was spent commuting – not cool, man. I didn’t get involved in my first year. I spent all my time on the bus, doing homeworking and working at Olive Garden (heck yes, the breadsticks are delish). I’m hoping this collegium will be able to encourage students to take charge of their own learning with the help from the cool people staffing it and the cool people who are members.

One response to “Colleger-what?

1. Courtney

Oh gosh, this sounds sooooo cool! I was lucky to be a small part of the CSI&C community last year, but this would have been another great way to meet other people. So jealous! (also, the fact that you’re working on this project is super cool!)