Core Knowledge – History

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I would like to start by extending you a warm welcome, not only to Canada but, also to my classroom. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to share my experiences as a Canadian teacher with you during your two-week stay next month, and I am likewise eager to learn about your own teaching experiences and approaches to education.

Your question “What does every Canadian need to know?” is quite complex and I will respond to the best of my ability although, I believe that your in class experiences will provide further insight into this inquiry. Let me start by saying that Canada is, not only a cultural mosaic composed of many different ethnic, cultural, linguistic communities, etc. but, it is also geographically speaking, quite varied. The diversity of our country’s landscapes and the people residing within, I believe, set the foundations for what every Canadian student should know.

Given that Canada is divided into provinces and territories it should be noted that the curriculum varies slightly depending on locality. Yet, in spite of the differences between the provinces and territories, there is certainly a core curriculum that should be taught country-wide.

First and foremost, I believe that every Canadian student should have an understanding of how Canada came to be a country. Each student should learn about the settlers who came to Canada and how it would eventually come to Confederation on July 1, 1867. Likewise, each student should be aware of how each province and territory entered Confederation. The history of the formation of our country is crucial for understanding the present day political and cultural climate as well current events, for example French/English relations as well as the relationship between aboriginals, settlers, and the Canadian government.

Like most countries, Canada too has some dark moments in its history, and these should not be glossed over in an attempt to “save face” and glorify Canadian stereotypes. I sincerely believe that every Canadian student should be educated about residential schools, Japanese internment, Ukrainian internment, etc. An understanding of these events will provide students with essential background knowledge to better understand the effects of these events on the respective communities and how they have affected their ways of life.

However, in addition to a comprehension of such events, Canadian students should also be knowledgeable about Canadian achievements and distinguishing features. They should learn about the Multiculturalism Act of 1971, the Group of Seven, the literary works of Margaret Atwood, and Northwest Pacific Coast art and culture, among other things, which all contribute to a Canadian Cultural Canon.

Finally, Canadian students should also learn about globally recognized historical figures, scientists, artists, writers, etc. Not only will this establish cross-cultural relationships with the multiplicity of communities cohabiting within Canada, but it will also allow Canadian students to be able to interact with people from around the world through a shared knowledge of masterpieces like Shakespeare’s Macbeth, Van Gough’s Starry Night, or J. D. Salinger’s Catcher in the Rye, to name a few.

Although I have only briefly shared my perspective on what I personally believe every Canadian should know, I hope that it has provided you with a glimpse into my teaching beliefs. I look forward to further sharing my insights, educational practices, and more specifically, my approaches to teaching the British Columbia curriculum with you when you arrive next month. Should you have any more questions before your arrival please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Ashley Bailer

This entry was posted in All Student Work 2015, Core Knowledge Archive. Bookmark the permalink.