To: Pencil Pack Team Members, ENGL 301 Writing Team
From: Jenny Zhang, ENGL 301 Student
Date: October 14, 2019
Subject: Best Practices for Networking on LinkedIn
In preparation for our next assignment, I have researched recommended LinkedIn practices to help you create and appropriate and useful LinkedIn Profile. Below I have compiled a list of what I have found to be the best practices for using LinkedIn to help you build your profile.
Here is my list of the ten best practices for using LinkedIn:
- Make sure that your profile is fully complete.
- Customize your LinkedIn URL so that it is easy to remember instead of using the default URL.
- Make your profile clear and concise. Take time to proofread to make the best impression possible.
- Use a professional profile picture that was recently taken. Avoid using any pictures that include pets or other people.
- Maintain a professional tone and style throughout your profile. Avoid the use of informal language or emoticons.
- Make your summary engaging and concise by briefly describing your background, interests and professional experience.
- Include your contact information so that professionals are able to reach out to you. Avoid missing opportunities because nobody could find a way to contact you.
- Remain active on your profile by keeping your skills and experience up to date.
- Take advantage of the Endorsement feature to help enhance credibility.
- Get involved in our community by following companies, people and groups that are in areas of your interest.
LinkedIn is a great tool to help people network with others who have similar professional interests. I hope that you find this list useful in helping build your own LinkedIn profile page. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Feldman, Barry. “LinkedIn Best Practices for Developing Your Personal Brand.” Feldman Creative, 15 July
The Muse Editor. “The Best LinkedIn Profile Tips for Job Seekers.” The Best LinkedIn Profile Tips for Job
Seekers – The Muse, The Muse, 1 Nov. 2015,
Smith, Brad. “20 LinkedIn Tips to Help Boost Engagement.” Social Media Today, 8 Jan. 2019,