2.2 Peer Review of LinkedIn Profile

To: Thomas Howey

From: Jobina Tamminga

Date: October 24, 2019

Subject: Peer Review of Your LinkedIn Profile

I have reviewed for LinkedIn Profile. You have done a great job so far, and I have given a few suggestions to make it even better below.

Initial Impressions

My initial thoughts of your profile are that your profile is brand new. I first noticed your profile picture and the number of connections that you have. It is quite clear that you have just recently made the profile (low connection number) which Is not a bad thing, but it did catch my eye. I also noticed that you are very into sailing. I was not sure initially who your profile was intended for (sailing or biologist) but I don’t think that it hurts to have your sailing experience on your profile even if you are interested in a biologist position.

Headline

Your headline does include where you are going to school, which is good, though I think that you could also include your major in your headline. This is sometimes the only part of your profile that someone may see, so it is important to give them as much information as you can. I also could not tell if you included the industry in your headline or not.

Photos

Your profile photo is one of the first things that I noticed about your profile. I might suggest using a photo that is a bit more closeup on your face, as you seem to be a bit far from the camera. I also might suggest using a bit better quality photo as the current profile picture is a bit blurry. Your cover photo looked fine, as most people on LinkedIn do not change the cover photo.

About

Your summary looks good and is broken down into sections which makes it easier to quickly read. Your summary is concise yet informative and does a nice job at tying in different parts of your profile into your future career goals. From your summary, I would guess that your intended audience is an employer in the biology field. I thought that your about summary was really well done.

Experience

Although your experience section includes quite a wide variety of positions, I think that it is important to include a wider variety of positions rather than too few which you have. It might make a stronger profile if you had more biology experience (if you have any more). Each position seems to have a good amount of information about your duties and what you learned. All experience descriptions have sufficient detail and include all relevant fields such as dates and locations.

Education

You have an education section that includes your area of study, which is good, though it could use some more detail. Were you involved in any clubs? Or received any awards? Did anything make your undergraduate studies stand out in any way? You could include the UBC Sailbot experience in this section as well.

Volunteer Experience

Your events director experience is really great, and actually looks really cool!  This is a great experience to have and includes all the relevant fields like dates and location. What a cool experience!

Skills & Endorsements

I noticed that you don’t have a skills and endorsements section, it might be a good idea to make one. Putting down your skills and getting your coworkers to endorse them are great ways to let future employers know what you’re capable of.

Honours & Awards

I also noticed that you do not have an honour and award section. If you have any awards or other notable accomplishments such as even Dean’s Honour List it might be a good idea to include!

Accomplishments

In your accomplishments section, you mention your ENGL 301 Technical writing course, but are there any other courses that might be relevant to your target audience? Technical writing is a great skill to have but I imagine there are other courses that are also important to who might be reading your profile. If you include your courses, you may want to include more than one, or not include them at all.

Interests

I noticed that your only interest is UBC. Feel free to show an interest in any other companies you have worked for, companies that you are interested in working for, or any other organization that shows what you are interested in.

Grammar

Your profile was free of grammatical errors and appeared professional as well. Great work!

Additional Comments

One thing that I might suggest is going through all of the sections that LinkedIn offers and making sure that you have filled as much out as you can. You have a really strong profile so far, and I think that you can make it even better.

Please let me know if you have any questions about what I have mentioned above. Great work!

LinkedIn Peer Review Template: 301 Jobina Tamminga LinkedIn Peer Review Template

Thomas Howey’s LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomas-howey/