Peer Review-Joyce Wu Application Package

To: Joyce Wu, ENG 301 Student
From: Brenda Martinez, ENG 301 Student
Subject: Application Package Peer-review
Date: December 16, 2019

Hello Joyce,

I have recently reviewed your application package for the position of at UBC in the Integrated Renewal Program (IRP) program, and I am very impressed with your work on this assignment. It is well organized, detailed, and includes a lot of experience in this area. Following is my peer-review of your application as well as some recommendations.

Employment Advertisement: This was very informative, it included lots of information about what the company is looking for in a future employee. Well referenced at the end in the MLA format.

Cover Letter: Included lots of academic achievements and work experience. It would be good if you could include more information about your desire to work in this department, and how it could enhance your career path. Employers sometimes look for this in a letter of introduction.

Resume: Very detailed, lots of experience in the areas that the employment advertisement listed. I think you are more than qualified for the position, as per your resume. Organized, with headings and subheadings for each of the sections. The dates are in chronological order. Pages are numbered, excellent grammar, and professional tone.

Letter of reference request #1: This was very personable and had a professional tone throughout. I thought it was great that you were thoughtful about keeping in mind that with end of year your request for a letter of reference might not be possible as per Robert’s time and end of year schedule. It was a great idea to forward the job ad and a copy of your recent resume as well. I liked that you advised Robert that Lani McGill from the IRP HR workstream could potentially be in touch soon regarding your application.

Letter of reference request #2: I liked that you included a personal aspect of the work that you performed in each of the positions. It was great that you reminded the reader of your letter of reference request in what field and position you worked in during your time working together.

Letter of reference request #3: Great organization with an introduction, body, and salutation.

Overall Impression, organization and grammar: Overall great work on this assignment, well organized, and included all aspects of the requirements.

Recommendations: If I may make a couple of suggestions in your reference letter requests, instead of “hoping you are able to provide me a reference for a new opportunity”, maybe adding “hoping you are able to provide me with a letter of reference for a new opportunity”. In this section, “Lani McGill from the IRP HR workstream may be in contact if you agree to provide the reference for me”, this might be more effective, “Lani McGill from the IRP HR workstream may be in contact with you, regarding my application for this position”.

Conclusion: I had trouble finding any areas that were overlooked, your application package was very thorough and you are well on your way to completing this assignment. Overall, great job and best of luck with your application to this employment position. I hope that it meets your expectations, and that it will enhance your career goals.

Link to Joyce’s Application Package:  https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/12/12/application-package-2/