Colleen is an Enrolment Services Advisor with Student Support and Advising.  She supports students navigating their lives at UBC. Colleen says, “I love helping students achieve their goals here and reach whatever looks like success for each of them!”

First things first – where did you travel to?

My partner, baby and I travelled to central Europe for 3 weeks.  We started in Prague, did Slovakia, Vienna, Budpaest, Zagreb and Crikvenica. We wanted to go someplace “easy,” to travel because we were travelling with a 10 month old baby. Plus central Europe is a bit cheaper than Western Europe!

Crikvenica, Croatia

Zagreb, Croatia

Out of all the places you visited, in your opinion which was most memorable?

Central Europe is beautiful in general. But, Budapest is by far the most memorable place that we went to. It was really beautiful, there’s a great urban park that could give Stanley Park a run for its money. We stayed on the Buda side of the Danube River and looked across at the Parliament Buildings every day; they look like something out of a fairytale. Also, the escalators are terrifying. I’m afraid of heights and these escalators are super steep and take 5 minutes to ride!

Parliament in Budapest, Hungary

What was your favourite meal you had during your trip?

Being a vegetarian in Central Europe isn’t the easiest. We ate a lot of baked goods because we knew what was in it. But they know their pierogis! I’ve never had peirgois like I did in Prague!

Last question – do you have any advice for our future jet-setters?

If I had one piece of advice, it would be not to go with your baby. Just joking! Sort of. There’s a great night scene that’s hard to enjoy travelling a baby. Travelling on the train with a baby is a win because they can crawl around and not be constrained- which babies don’t like.