Cassie is a Transfer Credit & Admissions Coordinator with Undergraduate Admissions.  She describes her role as “one that allows [her] to support both students and fellow staff members around campus about anything they might need to know about admissions as well as transfer credit.”   Questions can vary across a wide spectrum, from searching for a transcript, to matters that involve directors and Deans to reach a solution around setting up transfer credit rules or agreements for the University.

Cassie says that she likes being able to support students more behind the scenes and in “invisible” ways.  She also likes the high volume and controlled chaos that Admissions experiences.  Cassie states, “it means I get to learn a variety of things in a short period of time; there’s rarely a day where I don’t learn something new!  Also, everyone is lovely and extremely dedicated to their work!”

Where did your travels take you to? Is there any specific reason you chose jet-set there?

Dublin – it’s one of my favourite cities in Europe and I’ve been making trips there since I was in high school as a good friend lives there. The city is relatively small and easy to navigate; I guess because I’ve been there so many times there is a level of comfort/familiarity that I have that makes it easy to be travelling there.

In your opinion, what are your must-sees and dos in Dublin?

The scenery all over the country is beautiful as it’s a small country surrounded by water. Sites that are within an hour from Dublin via public transit that are must-sees are Howth which has a rough foot trail right along a cliff (scary but worth it for the spectacular view!!), Dun Loaghaire which is a harbor so not only is it lovely on a nice day for exploring but it’s a little township that is quaint.

The Dublin Zoo is actually one of my favourite activities although it’s a bit pricier (17 Euros/person) but I think it is absolutely worth it. It is massive (MASSIVE) with beautiful enclosures for their animals that are so large that it almost doesn’t seem like they are in captivity. The Zoo is very involved in research on almost every animal they have which is cool to learn about too. They even have elephants!! I was there two weeks after their youngest rhino was born and it was the cutest hefty thing.

Also, lots of Whiskey tastings available at affordable prices, if that’s your kind of thing.   A recommended shot by the locals to visitors in Dublin is to try a delicious concoction called a Baby Guinness which consists of Tia Maria and Baileys resulting in a visual miniature of the common Guinness pint.  As well, there are beautiful sites to visit like Dublin Castle, and the Long Room at Trinity College along with the Book of Kells.

Now, tell us about Irish food!

Dublin is all about artery-clogging food: folks there seem to adore greasy food and intensely dislike greens of any variety. The most memorable meal was probably one that my friend’s family made while I was visiting where the plate consisted of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, a small side of buttery peas, and gravy. The Irish are not one to shy away from butter in everything as a result everything is delicious! Even when each meal has two varieties of potatoes.

Finally, what is one piece of advice you would give to people who want to go to Dublin?

Try to do what the locals do – ie: how they get around, where they frequent – instead of getting into organized tourist situations. The latter tend to be costly and rushed as you have to always be aware of busses and timings. Everything is laid-back there and locals are incredibly nice and helpful so take your time to explore as there is a lot to take in!