Jin is on the Student Financial Services team, and more specifically the Canada Student Loans and US Direct Loans team and her main portfolio is BC Student Loans. She works with various groups on and off campus including UBC IT and the Ministry to ensure students are not only eligible for government student loans, but also for students to receive their funding as fast as they can.

When asked what she enjoys most about working in ES? “Making gingerbread houses!” While she really does enjoy seeing the extravagant and creative gingerbread houses, Jin loves learning about the services ES offers to students.  Jin says: “Within the last couple of years, I have gained valuable knowledge on how Student Information System checks for student loan eligibility and requirements as well as the Online Payment Tool.”

So Jin, tell us where you jet-setted off to?

In March, I travelled to Yellowknife and the surrounding areas in the Northwest Territories. My friend from Vancouver moved to Yellowknife for work and we wanted to visit her hoping to see the Aurora Borealis. From Yellowknife, we drove about 1.5 hours to a small remote community called Behchoko and were lucky to witness their annual handgame tournament

What were some of your favourite moments? 

We did a lot of activities (probably as many as we could in 4 days in Yellowknife!) – snowmobiling, dog sledding, and visiting a snow castle – but watching the northern lights with a bonfire on the frozen lake was the highlight of my trip! We drove to Prelude Lake Territorial Park and my friend’s local friends helped set a bonfire so we didn’t freeze while waiting for the northern lights to appear.  Like the weather, the northern lights are unpredictable. Luckily, we did get to see the Aurora Borealis and I will never forget this moment.

Were there any interesting meals that you had?

Food was the most challenging part of the trip, because eating out is very expensive (a small bowl of bad-compared-to-Vancouver pho noodles was $16) and the variety is limited. A buffalo steak at Bullocks’ Bistro was delicious though, and it was the best meal I had in Yellowknife.

And do you have any advice for people wanting to travel to Yellowknife?

To be aware that Yellowknife is relatively expensive compared to Vancouver as everything there has to be imported in small quantities. Also, don’t forget your sunscreen and sunglasses (the glare of the sun on the snow is very powerful) and bring some emergency food and drinks. I brought some instant noodles and that helped me save a few bucks.